Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cory-Marcos in our minds

I just found out that my hubby is a Marcos loyalist for reasons that he can't really be sure of (those were his exact words). I just found out today when he smiled at my yellow ribbons--one pinned on my shirt and the other one tied around my bag. I asked him if he wants one and he politely declined. In a hush, he said "I'm a Marcos fan."

"Why?" I asked. "I'm not sure why," he answered.

I asked him if his father was a Marcos supporter too, and he said yes. And then I get the picture, but I will not go into much details about it.

Most people from my mom's family were Marcos loyalists too because my grandfather was appointed by Marcos as director for the Citizen's Legal Assistance Office (CLAO) in Cebu. And I know many other Marcos loyalists that have remained silent since the last three days when Corazon Aquino is, again, at the center of the spotlight.

But I know of some Marcos loyalists too that did not try to repress their sentiments of disbelief over all the accolades being thrown at Cory, now that she's dead. And the possibility of creating another holiday in her honor--or worse, be declared a national hero--must be killing down staunch Marcos followers.

I'd say, why not just give it to Cory--for posterity's sake. She was after all a former president--and an exeptional one at that. She, as what broadcaster Ted Failon said, have not built a lot of roads or bridges or a CCP, but she stood out for integrity. In a time when integrity is passe, she died to let the people know that we can all stand for something as simple as being true to oneself and to the people around you.

I was barely six years old when People Power broke out and my fondest memory of that era were yellow bands, Cory chants and the People Power junk food that came with a free heart sticker.

In history class from grade school to college, I was more touched with how Filipinos then tore out their cedulas as a sign of revolt to the Kastilas.

It was just three days ago when I truly understood what Cory, and the rest of the Filipino people, fought for 23 years ago. It was not the Marcoses. It was for the Filipino freedom, threatened by the ideals of one Ferdinand Marcos.

And who I am to say that one was better than the other? I'd rather not go there. I will remain content with the thought that each had a role to play in a bigger plan.

But I think it was not brilliance on statutes or the ability to defend oneself in court--not even charisma--that made Cory an icon. It was goodness that transcends, goodness that shatters a spirit of cynicism and spite.

No comments:

Post a Comment