Friday, July 24, 2009

Bohol, now and back

The last time I was in Bohol was when Anthony and I went to Panglao for a relaxing weekend three years ago (that was a long time ago, I figured!), but it ended up with me stuck in our hotel room because I accidentally stepped on a sea urchin (ouch!).

It was a great trip and I told Anthony that the next time we go there, we’ll have our little Aki in tow.

Just the other day, I went on an overnight business trip to Bohol to cover the regional fair of the Department of Trade and Industry in Central Visayas.

I’ve always loved the pace and ambiance of Bohol and I am glad that now there are more destinations to go to, giving more options of what one wants to do even during short trips.

I also get to try the Buzz Café of the famed Bee Farm. I would have wanted to really go to the actual farm since I thought that it was just within Tagbilaran City. But it is in an area going to Panglao Island, the drivers told me.

At the Buzz Café, I ordered spareribs with brown rice and the salad side dish were of organic flowers and leaves of plants that I’m sure I’ve seen somewhere in my lola’s garden.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, with me eating flowers and all. I ate one bouganvilla flower and that was all I can muster to have for myself.

I don’t know how to exactly describe the taste but there was a tinge of delicateness to it. But I felt weird, after eating the flower.

At the Buzz Café, they also sold sandwich spreads, which the owner “invented,” or that’s how the head waitress at the café puts it.

I tried the malunggay spread, the honey and the pesto and there was one more that I forgot what it was. I would have wanted to buy their famed honey but I can’t get my eyes (and hands) off the pesto spread. I bought two small cans of it, and my mouth now starts to water at having it paired with French bread. Yum!

Anyway, the trip at Bohol, though a short and a “strictly business” one, was worth me waking up at 4am to catch the 6am fastferry trip. I get to shop around for the best rates for our planned family summer vacation next year.

Anthony and I are excited for that trip since it will the first for our family. Based on our plan, we’d take a four-day vacation and get two tour packages.

First, there’s the Chocolate Hills Tour that includes a trip to the Blood Compact Shrine, the manmade forest, watch the tarsiers up close, lunch at Loboc river, a trek to the Chocolate Hills, try the hanging bridge and visit the old Baclayon Church.

The second tour package that we chose is the Panglao Island tour, which includes a visit to the Hinagdanan cave, the Bee Farm and this old church in Dauis (I think?!) and then frolic at the beaches in Panglao.

Just thinking about the trip, even if it is still months away, gets me excited!

You all might be wondering why we plan our vacation this advanced. Tour operators have always advised to plan trips ahead of time because well-planned trips save you a lot of money and effort. Besides, the hotel where we will be staying told us that they are already open to accept bookings one year ahead.

And no, it is not going to be at the Eskaya (I wish though!). Eskaya is just stressfully expensive! The driver at Bohol Tropics told me that an overnight stay there costs at least P35,000 and this does not include food yet. For a day tour, it’ll cost you P1,000 per person. (I think Eskaya’s selling point is also their being ultra-expensive).

So now I’m back to Cebu but I promised I’ll be back to Bohol soon! I’ll just forget Eskaya, for now.

1 comment:

  1. when you have the time, try the danao adventure park in danao, bohol--just near carmen... :-)

    ReplyDelete