Tuesday, August 18, 2009

allergy attack

I’m still sleepy from last night’s visit to Aki’s doctor. He’s been coughing since the past week, although his cough comes only in the early mornings and late at night. I was alarmed when my mom told me that it might be asthma since he’s been breathing faster than usual.

Off we go to the clinic and the doctor told us that, unfortunately, Aki got my allergic rhinitis. It usually occurs when fruit-bearing trees start to bloom flowers and the pollen dust gets blown in the wind and end up at our homes until the little ones get to sniff it.

Fronting our house is a mango tree, which as I am looking at it past my window, is now starting to sprout its first blooms. While next door, there’s a star-apple tree and just across our place, my parents’ house have at least three tambis trees that grow flowers the whole year round.

Most of us who grew up in the compound have had allergic rhinitis. Although when we’ve grown up, it became more manageable since we are more frequent outside the compound.

But for Aki, it really gets me worried every time he coughs. But his doctor assured me that the coughing is a voluntary action on his part in response to his itchy throat. He also prescribed an anti-allergy medication, which will have a sedative effect on the baby.

The doctor said the medicine will be ideal for our little travelbug, as the family will fly to Bacolod on Friday. This is Aki’s third trip and his fourth time on the plane.

During his last flight, he was well-behaved and we thought that he is already getting the hang of air cabin pressure. But the doctor warned us since Aki is now more mobile, he’ll be more prone to get ear aches.

“One dose of the medicine before boarding and you’ll have a hassle free flight,” the doctor told us, matter-of-factly. Well, I hope so.

But before that, I’ll finalize my checklist of things-to-bring for the flight. I’d need lots and lots of comfortable and loose shirts for Aki since his daddy’s going to bring him to the farm for his first visit there.

I will tell you all about our farm experience the next time. Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment