Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Just Cant Not Write About MJ

I cried my heart out today as I, together with the rest of the world, watched the memorial service for Michael Jackson. It broke my heart, and probably a million of hearts more across the globe, when his 11-year old daughter Paris said her piece.

My earliest recollection of MJ was me singing One Day in Your Life compiled with other songs for video-karaoke in Betamax format. It's one of my favorite videoke songs

When music television was all that seemed to matter during my teenage life, MJ’s short films were always a must-watch. My first MJ heartbreak was when my dad refused to buy me his Dangerous album. It was then that I discovered I was a fan.

A number of my cousins are avid MJ fans as well for a lot of things—the moonwalk, the Moonwalker video (which is also one of my favorite movies of all time), Black or White, Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean and more.

What got me hooked was when he said “I will not spend my life living as a color,” a statement he made, and had it written on his Dangerous album. After reading that, the boy-man became larger than life for me.

Perhaps, like the rest of the world, I was also excited for his comeback tour. Like a true fan, I want to see my idol rise up to the many occasions he was ridiculed and accused of nonsense stuff.

But I think that he has given enough of himself to the world already and whatever is left of him is just there for us to take.

Besides, the legacy of his music is something that, I believe, will endure forever. I just hope the message that lies hidden in his songs will also leave a mark to the hearts of the men who listens to his songs because MJ was one person who has always begged for a better world, not for him, but for all of us.

Goodbye, gloved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment