Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Goodbyes in June, Goodbye to June

June was a very busy and sad month for me. I’m glad that tomorrow, it’ll be July and we can all just leave the memories of June behind. But let me leave my trails, as I see it fit to reminisce about memories that somehow leave the heart etched with more passion for life.

First, hubby and I decided to sell Age – our dependable 2004 Kia Sportage Turbo. It was a hard decision for me since I haven’t completely overcome the trauma of riding PUJs, after hubby and I experienced being held at gunpoint during a 10 am highway robbery aboard a PUJ.

We are now saving up for an upgraded version but as of last night, hubby told me that he’s more likely to get a CRV.

Anyway, a few days after we sold the car, my sister-in-law sent us a text message informing us that my father-in-law was rushed to the hospital after suffering a stroke.

I really had a bad feeling about it and so I told Anthony to go to Bacolod and check on his dad. We got the news on a Sunday afternoon and Anthony left for Bacolod on Monday evening.

His dad was admitted to the ICU and after the doctor said his vital signs has gone from bad to worse on Wednesday, Anthony asked me to join him in Bacolod and to bring Aki along.

Since the first time Aki went on a plane ride was such a hassle, I decided to bring along his yaya since I know I just could not manage a 20 minute plane ride alone with Aki. Good thing he was well-behaved during the flight from Cebu to Bacolod, probably he’s now getting used to the flight.

Anyway, we arrived in Bacolod on Thursday morning and we went straight to the hospital to visit his lolo. We know that babies are not allowed in ICUs but Anthony decided to sneak him in just so his lolo can hear his apo for the last time.

After a week in the ICU, my father-in-law passed away and I think it was still a blessing for the family since the doctor told us that should he survive, he would still be a vegetable. The stroke he suffered was so massive that it created a clot in his main artery and immediately paralyzed the right part of his entire body. The instant his blood pressure shoot up, it also caused him blindness—that was how worse that attack was.

It was also the first time I saw someone die. It was a slow pain and having to deal with a situation when you are just waiting when his heart stops beating was such an ordeal that I can’t even begin to describe.

It was also surreal that after having dealt with the emotions, we have to regain our composure to start working on wake and funeral arrangements. And if there is one thing I learned, it is really a big help for the loved ones left behind that my father-in-law had a memorial plan. Anthony’s dad was one of the most practical persons I’ve known and before he died, he once told a relative that his family would not have a problem in arranging for his funeral needs since it has been prepared for already.

And if you can see how expensive coffins are, you’d be willing to go and sign up for that memorial plan in a heartbeat. A decent one now costs at least P80,000.00!

It also amazed me how ruthless some businessmen in Bacolod can be. The moment word spread that he was admitted to the ICU, some people are already sending in their bids to purchase their family farm.

But during his 62nd birthday last May, my father-in-law had made it clear to his children not to sell their properties, in between sips of brandy and rum.

And now, my mind toys with the idea of relocating to Bacolod. I am not fully up for it but I am praying for what is best for my family. Truly, with death comes a lot of change and with my father-in-law passing over the reins of the family business to the eldest son-my husband-I can no longer tolerate the possibilities I was scared of confronting then.

I admit, I am scared to move to Bacolod and would not want to leave my job. Cebu, for me is still the best place on Earth! But I have to be where the other half of my heart is and be supportive of his decisions and endeavors. I know Anthony’s decisions will be for the best of our family.

But he’s told me not to think about it yet. Not in the next three years.

Anyway, June (and Death-I am more comfortable dealing with the idea of death as a person) also took away the Gloved One and my favorite angel.

To my father-in-law, I will thank My God for every remembrance of you.

To MJ and Farrah, thank you for sharing your lives to nameless faces like me and the rest of the world. It has been a better world, with you both, after all.










No comments:

Post a Comment