Wednesday, July 8, 2009

ALEx

If I'll have it my way, I would want my son to grow up be one ALEx (an Aboitiz Leader of Excellence).

But then, I'd really want my son to grow up to be a lot of things. I would want him to excel in sports, I would want him to become a really good public speaker and I would want him to be one of the best doctors in town. But that's if I'll have it my way.

But if, and only if, I could choose among all these I envision for my son, I'd really want him to be an ALEx.

The ALEx is a group of young people who have already went into leadership skills training by the Aboitiz group's foundation--the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. (Rafi). During my interview with its executive director, Evelyn Castro, ALEx gathers all its alumni from four other youth groups so that these young people (with ages ranging from 15 to their mid 20s) will continue to have an outlet to develop their leadership skills while being molded to become responsible citizens of the country.

They officially launched the group during its first summit at the Mountain View Nature Park Resort over the weekend and spending some time with the ALEx members, asking them about what their views are on leadership, unity, the elections and the country was, in some weird way, rejuvenating for me.

Hearing them speak of their ideals with conviction, at the back of my mind, I was also thinking of how far can their ideals go. I just have to say a little prayer though, that the group's convictions and commitment towards nation-building will forever stay with them. Our country badly needs the kind of spirit that this youth group has held dear--the spirit of idealism.

In a time when a good news is in its rarest form, when it comes, it sparkles, no matter how raw the gem is. ALEx is one good news that I'd really want to share. And I hope it'll reach millions of young people.

In a time when the young people are making it to the headlines for killing a priest, killing a father, for gang and frat wars and for notoriety, these young people who are trying to make a change should not take the backseat.

And if I'll have it my way, I want my son to grow up knowing that those who have come before him tried to make a difference and it has to continue with his generation.

I want him to be among those who commits to whatever it is for the greater good. And if he does, and if one day he too becomes an ALEx, I'd be more proud than any soccer mom or stage parent in the whole world.

Read about the ALEx here -- http://tinyurl.com/ALExgroup

No comments:

Post a Comment