Tuesday, September 8, 2009

time out

“I have chicken pox.”

I wish my announcement would have been as grand as saying, “I have the hickies!” It was “prophetic”—the chicken pox, I mean.

Last month, when we went to Aki’s pediatrician for his supposed last vaccine shot for his first year, Dr. Serafica asked me and my husband if we already had chicken pox. My husband was sure he had his share (because it seemed like everybody has to get the virus at one point in their life). But I’m doubtful if I had mine and my mom was just not helpful.

The doctor said that since Aki might still not have the anti-bodies to fight off the chicken pox virus during the first year of his life, we must have him stay away from possible transference. His chicken pox vaccine was supposed to be scheduled on November still but instead, we had the shot administered earlier—last Saturday.

I know that I promised Aki that I will be there to see him through his shots. But for this one, I just have to stay home since I can’t go out and has to be in isolation. But his daddy told me that Aki was such a good and brave boy that he didn’t even squirm while the needle was injected into his right leg.

Although Aki have had his vaccine already, I still have to keep myself from going near him since the doctor said that the vaccine usually takes effect in five to seven days still. I’m so yearning right now to hug and hold my little one but it won’t be until next week that I can do that. =(

I’m also off from work until the 17th and this is sad and nice at the same time.

It’s sad because my editor, LAP, will be leaving the paper and will join a private firm. After 17 years, I never thought she’ll leave. But it is for the better anyway. I know her reasons and is supportive of her decision.

She’ll be off to her new company on the 10th and I won’t be there to say my good-bye. But there’s still one more meeting when the team can talk, for the last time together.

Being away from work is also nice since I get to finalize the party plans for Aki’s first birthday party. Anthony said that he’s inviting his whole team and my in-laws are flying in from Bacolod.

I have already decided on the menu for the kiddie party and dinner. Some of the party stuff I already bought from suppliers. I am now decided to get a clown host instead of a host in costume since it is so out of synch if the party theme is Sesame Street but the only host in costume available is Winnie the Pooh and Blues Clues.

Hubby and I are yet to decide if we will push with having Elmo (the mascot) around. I haven’t completed the survey as to who among the invited kiddos are scared of mascots since if most of them have mascot phobia, then I’d pass up on Elmo this time lest I’d want the party to end up as a screamfest.

I already bought some game prizes and the loot bags but I do not have the items that I will be putting in them. I’m still trying to haggle with Anthony if we can instead get the mini-mall where the children will be given a little shopping bag and play money to buy from the mini-mall what they wanted for themselves. The supplier told me that the package will go with an attendant who will take care of looking after the store.

Anthony still wanted to get inflatables but it would be unfair for Aki since all the other kids will get to play at the giant inflatable slide and he can’t just yet.

Oh well, we need to talk about everything the soonest time since I want to book all the suppliers before the month ends so that I can concentrate on buying the food items and other stuff that we need in the house for the party—tissues, deoderizers, new rugs and yep, an additional slip mat for the CR. The other day, the son of our neighbor slipped while taking a bath and had a long cut across his eyebrows. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment